Valentines day was always a pain in my butt growing up. Until I met my current boyfriend, I spent many a Valentines days going out with “friends” and men who I was just seeing casually. Like not adult casually but high school casually. The kind of date where it’s not actually a date, its just two people who kind of have a thing for each other going out to get food or go on adventures in the city, type of date. How do you dress for a casual date on valentines day?
The key rules I think so to not over think it: Don’t wear something special because then the guy might think you are more than just casually dating.
- If you do not usually wear heels, don’t.
- If you do not usually wear lipstick, don’t
- Do wear a little bit of pink or red, remind him you are going out with him on valentines day.
Here is how I do casual Valentines day:
Today, my boyfriend I usually turn Vday into an all-day event. We start with breakfast then we spend the day at the beach or strolling through the city. That is how we do casual. So this outfit is great for walking or even playing catch at the beach without looking overdone for Valentines day.
The key components to a casual Valentines day date outfit is:
- Flat shoes – you don’t know if you will be walking or exploring or playing in the dirt
- Shorts or pants – like the reason above, you don’t know how much activity you will be doing
- Layers – hot or cold, you need to be able to keep yourself warm. What if you were cold and hoped your date would give you his jacket but doesn’t? Always be able to keep yourself warm
- Something to remind him that it’s Valentines day – like a heart accessory or the color pink
Faux Sperrys – Old Navy – $10
Pink shorts – Charlotte Russe – $15
Ombred tank – flea market – $5
Denim chambray – American Eagle – gift
Beige heart bag – Urban Outfitters – $20
Braceletes – Alex and Ani – $28 each
Necklace – Forever 21 – $5
Outfit total: about $111
See how I styled other Valentines Day outfits:
- A lovely orange Valentines Day dress; OOTD
- A Valentines Day look for when you’re a new couple
- A very berry teal Valentines day; OOTD
- An edgy & pink Valentines Day; OOTD
Pin it for later: