This week I managed to get my hands on The China Study and it has reignited my interest in eating less meat. I picked up a block of extra firm tofu and decided to whip up a quick vegetarian soba noodle stir fry inspired by the Otsu noodle recipe I found on Use Real Butter.
I changed the recipe for the sauce and kept it at soy sauce, Sriracha, sesame oil, lemon, and rice wine vinegar. You can easily swap out ingredients for ones you like more. For example, I switched bean sprouts for baby corn. Who doesn’t love baby corn? Baby corn is so cute and crunchy. I ended up removing the cucumbers because it didn’t quite fit in the recipe.
This recipe is relatively simple. I decided not to sauté the eggplant and grill it instead because my history with eggplant is that it soaks up moisture and becomes a struggle to pan fry. Grilling it gave it a meatier flavor. I sprinkled the grilled eggplant with salt and pepper it allowed the eggplant to retain its veggie flavor.
Ingredients for Vegetarian soba stir fry:
- Soba noodles or buckwheat noodles
- Extra firm tofu
- Chinese eggplant
- Baby corn
- Snow peas
- Sesame seeds
- Green onions
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Rice wine vinegar
Instructions to make vegetarian soba stir fry:
- Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a different bowl. Combine the lemon juice, Sriracha, sesame oil, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar in a bowl.
- Mix and match measurements until you achieve the level of spice/sourness that you like. Put it aside for later.
- Cut the Chinese eggplant into hearty sticks and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggplant on a grill and get a pot of water boiling for the noodles.
- While you are waiting for the eggplant to grill and the water to boil, cut the tips off the ends of the snow peas, chop up the green onions, and cube the tofu.
- Flip the eggplant so that both sides have the pretty charred marks.
- Once they are complete toss them into a pan with snow peas, and the baby corn and just a few tablespoons of the sauce.
- While you are cooking the veggies put the noodles in the water to cook.
- Remove the veggies with the plan and place in the bowl with the sauce that you had set aside.
- Heat up the skillet on High and toss the tofu in, stir and flip the tofu until all sides are a golden brown.
- Once the soba noodles are al dente, drain the water and put the noodles in the bowl with the sauce and the veggies.
- Mix in the tofu and combine all of the ingredients together until fully coated in the sauce.
Plate, sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions and enjoy.