I’m celebrating World Honey Bee Day with a giveaway! If you follow me on Twitter, you would catch my occasional soap box sessions on the importance of bees. Honey bees are the reason we have things like almond milk, blueberries, melons and more! Could you imagine a world where blueberry muffins costed $20 due to the rarity of blueberries? Can you imagine having to go back to regularly drinking 2% milk with your cereal? I can’t.
Bees are disappearing!
World Honey Bee Day brings awareness to our favorite friend, the honey bee. Without the hard work of the honey bee, a lot of our crops would die. In fact, the corn industry is largely responsible for the reduction in bees. Because large parts of the the US crop fields grow corn, the pesticides sprayed on the corn are inhibiting the bee’s ability to return to the hive. As a result bee hives are experiencing CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) due to the lack of workers bees that make it back. In 2015 and 2016, beekeepers saw a reduction of 44% in their hives when summer time came back around.
It can be easy to feel like one person can’t make a difference. But if everyone did a little something, that little bit of effort can help a whole lot.
What can we do to help the bees?
- Plant wild flowers so bees have food in between nectar breaks.
- DIY bee watering station with a shallow pool of water with stones so bees can hydrate.
- Buy local honey and support beekeepers.
- Revive tired bees.
- Consider making a masonry bee hotel for your yard.
What to do if you find a tired bee?
- Move it out of harms way – I often rescue bees from swimming pools and off sidewalks.
- Mix it a cocktail! – 2 tbsp of sugar mixed with 1 tbsp of water will do the trick.
Seven species of bee are already on the endangered species list. With only 300 or so types of bees existing and their alarming fast rate of dying, we are going to be hearing a lot more about the importance of bees.
World Honey Bee Day ~*GIVEAWAY~*
Let’s celebrate World Honey Bee Day with some free stuff!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway is to bring awareness to the importance of bees and equip you with swag to share that message with those around you.
In this Save The Bees “good bag,” which is really a box, you will find some of my favorite bee related products.
- “Life is Better with bees” shopping tote
- Save the Bees t-shirt (size womens XL) — See it on me for fit (I am wearing an XL)
- Majesty Honey travel lotion set
- Two packs of wild flower seeds to start your own bee friendly garden
I’m so excited to be able to celebrate this holiday by building a new BEE BATH for my patio! Head over to my Instagram stories to see it!